Meet Amanda Brooks, contributing editor at Conde Nast Traveler/English countryside dweller with a newly relaunched website — I Love Your Style, proponent of the wicker bag as an all-purpose-purse and author of Always Pack a Party Dress.
“Fashion is a glamorous industry,” she told me while describing her intent behind the book during a recent trip to New York. “I was trying to have a human voice in that world.” And she does: her book speaks to two kinds of people: 1) the young girl who loves fashion to a romantic extent, who wants the stories as much as the style, who wants to one day be a part of the industry while still embracing its more decadent, even frivolous side, and 2) for the woman who, regardless of age, may be at inflection point in her career.
And at the end of the day, that’s all of us, right? Women seeking reprieves from the doldrums of daily life in slideshows of far-away runways, who are just as confused about the next job and life steps as we are about what the hell to pack…which is where Amanda Brooks comes in today. Below, five lists of her top 5…
Top 5 Pieces of Career Advice
1. Don’t be afraid to take a job without a fancy name.
2. If you’re looking for a job but are utterly unsure about what you want to do, don’t “waffle” and wait for the perfect scenario. Choose something, make a decision then take it from there. You may surprise yourself. Or you may hate it! But at least you have momentum.
3. Prepare yourself now for the career you want, for the dream job, the dream industry. Luck happens — Proenza Schouler’s Lazaro Hernandez met Anna Wintour on a plane. But just because you’re in the right place at the right time doesn’t mean you’re always ready to talk the talk.
4. There’s getting lost (career-wise) in the romantic sense, and then getting lost to the point where you don’t recognize who you are anymore. If you’re unhappy and being disrespected but sticking it out for a paycheck or prestige, get out.
5. But she highly suggests having another job lined up first.
Besides a party dress, what are the top 5 things you pack when you come to NY from England now?
1. Chloé cargo pants
2. New Balance for J.Crew navy and white running shoes
3. Some form of hippie top from Isabel Marant
4. A camouflage L.L. Bean nylon tote for hauling without the risk of a broken bag
5. Céline sunglasses
What about your top 5 England farm-life essentials?
1. J.Crew mid rise matchstick corduroy trousers
2. Grenson leather lace up boots
3. An old Balmain military style peacoat in army green melton wool
4. My favorite Zara black plaid flannel shirt with gold snap buttons
5. A cashmere scarf that I knitted myself
Top 5 beauty and hair products that you absolutely always have to travel with?
1. Oil of Olay face cream
2. Kevyn Aucoin gel mascara
3. NARS Dolce Vita matte lip pencil
4. Laura Mercier eyebrow pencil
5. Moroccan Oil hair serum
What’s your go-to airplane outfit?
1. A Céline mens-style button down shirt
2. Point Sur denim Reid-style blue jeans
4. A navy down Uniqlo jacket
5. Hand cream. “Dry hands make me nervous.”
Photographed by Krista Anna Lewis