Everything is Still on Sale! Should I Buy This?

Leandra and Amelia email back and forth to ponder the meaning of life and stuff

07.25.17

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

Have you been shopping much lately? I have not. Partially because it’s July and I am much more secure in my style during the summer (by that I mean I feel much more convicted that what I wear reflects who I am, whereas over the winter, I’m live in a constant state of pursuit for the thing that will define me) but also because all the stores are trying to get me to buy like, turtlenecks and boots. Are you even thinking about fall clothes yet? I am relentlessly trying to pretend fall isn’t coming! Hello-o-o, it’s not even August yet!

One thing that has been in my cart for like, a week and a half though, is this Isabel Marant top. I have it in plain white and wear the shit out of it and feel like this version with embroidery is so damn cute in the way French provincial towns are but $600 is a lot. Even with an editorial discount of 30%, it becomes $420. Would you spend that on a white shirt?

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:38 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

I have been in a shopping frenzy, foaming at the mouth style — but mostly for swimsuits. (I just bought this blue Solid & Striped x STAUD two-piece, and this ASOS front-thong red bikini. I don’t want to look at fall stuff. In the meme of Mariah, I don’t know her.

Would I spend that much on a shirt…maybe. It’s just that the French provincial look is 100% a trend (the sleeper trend of the summer, fucker snuck up on us) and while I think the pretty stuff is going to stick, you’re never going to be THRILLED you spent that much on a floral blouse.

I would, however, spend $294 on this banana yellow Dries Van Noten skirt because every time I hover my mouse over it, my heart gets happy. I already wrote about it when I was freaking out about the MyTheresa sale. I’m just not sure what’s kept me from pulling the trigger…

What do you think?

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

Oh that’s an Amelia skirt if I have ever met one, but didn’t you also just write a whole story about how you’re not a skirt person, want to become one, genuinely hate them but might try to become one anyway…or whatever? It’s so cool that I’m not your editor anymore.

I like that Staud bathing suit so much too, but I got so many b-suits last summer as gifts from brands that I didn’t end up wearing because they arrived late so it feels really superfluous to buy any new ones this summer. You know? Not always the stance I take because I’m a stickler about maintaining my own style at whatever cost (figuratively!) but bathing suits are easy enough, you know, to make your own and feel like yourself.

Back to provincial dressing: don’t you think the top would also look awesome in the fall/winter with a turtleneck underneath it? And a sequined skirt with suede boots? I am still very seriously considering the green Isabel ones you found during your MyTheresa bender but haven’t pulled the trigger because I, similarly, “don’t know her.”

One other look I want to try this summer: ribbed henley tank tops x knit mid-length skirts.

There are some good henleys at Topshop.

Any skirt ideas?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

First stop: you’re right about provincial dressing being great for a non-depressing fall transition. Please get those green Isabel Marant boots. Next stop: Skirt Town, USA. You know how I made myself a morning person? I made myself a skirts person, too. As for that knit skirt, what about this Self Portrait one? And this kind of a different vibe but it’s sparkly Missoni ($510, 70% off) and APOLOGIES in advance for this but Missoni is really having a quiet moment again.

Do you know what I want? A very pretty necklace to make all other outfits feel special. I think I just need one. You and I have been talking so much about about buying less, donating/selling that which we really, truly don’t wear for the sake of simplifying things. Well, I am suffocating in stuff after moving and I now understand the appeal of Marie Kondo. I wonder if a necklace can scratch the itch of “my closet is boring and needs something new in it.”

Also, one more sentence to help you hotsnack: necklaces are the new statement earrings.

If you could only wear one shirt for the rest of the summer, speaking of shopping less, what would it be?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

Oooooh, I just got this Retrouvai necklace, which I looooooooooooovez.

❤️❤️❤️new @retrouvai necklace.

A post shared by Leandra (Medine) Cohen (@leandramcohen) on

Re: skirt, love that one! Going for it. Re: shirt…Probably that floral Isabel Marant one. And I really do feel that I’m less and less inclined towards consumption. Sometimes I look into my closet and genuinely start to feel dirty. It overwhelms me in the same way that a packed schedule sometimes can and that feels crazy! A closet is supposed to be the playground where your inner child comes out as a free spirit running around, shouting at the top of her lungs (metaphorically or not). It is not supposed to make you feel bogged down and like you probably have to add another clause (clean closet) to your to do list. So I’m really trying to cut my wardrobe in half. To pare it down dramatically and in doing so, it’s really forcing me to rethink how I metabolize clothing. It is super paradoxical because on the one hand, I am such a fan of flamboyant dressing.

Sell me the wackiest gimmicks! I will take them.

But on the other hand, when I ask myself what I genuinely need to own in order to feel like my truest self when I get dressed, I keep coming back to jeans and button downs and sensible shorts and girly dresses and skirts and feminine shoes but also masculine boots! And a couple of statement dresses

…But mostly boring shiz. So how do I reconcile that, pray tell?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

My thinking is that you own the parts of your truest self already: the jeans, the sensible shorts, the almost-out-of-character “girly” stuff. You never need to buy another button down so long as you live. The gimmicky things are the fun things to buy, the special collectibles that you don’t want to get rid of (even when you’re sick of wearing them) because they’re your equivalent of time capsules, especially if you plan to eventually pass them down to someone. You know better than anyone else that there are times in your life when you need to dress in your security blankets, even if it’s not what makes you feel the most cool, and then there are days where you wake up and say, “I would like to dress like a complete lunatic and wear irresponsible shoes.” So you need both.

Right now I’m trying to have a one in, one out policy if I buy anything but my focus is on getting rid of things. I’ve been to do “final runs” for the pieces in my closet that I don’t love but can’t seem to get rid of. I try them out and if I spend the whole day miserable, bye!

Next time a pair of shoes go out, I want the green version of the Balenciaga mules to take their place. Oh and this is VERY random but has Anna Sui been looking good to you lately? I keep gravitating toward her stuff and that is brand new for me. O, and this polkadot Moschino dress (on sale for $200) reminds me of you.

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

So many thoughts to share, starting with the least complicated: those Balenciaga mules are going to be a nightmare for your bunions. I’m just looking out for you. I got them after writing a very dramatic love letter to them and what I found is that I’m still not ready for such a long toe, so I returned them. Do you know what I mean when I say that? The front of those shoes are very long. Like inches past the end of your toes long.

Second item: Anna Sui has been looking great lately but you know, I’m not entirely sure if that’s because the clothes have changed or if fashion is re-entering that sweet spot it occupied in like, the early 2000s, when floral dresses were royal and Rebecca Taylor was queen. Anna Sui’s vibe is a bit more shabby in a St. Barths kind of way but pretty much same aesthetic.

To your point about frivolous clothing vis-a-vis my pursuit of looking like a lunatic, you’re completely right — the gimmicks get me really excited. I metabolize that excitement as “OMG I have to own that,” when really, what I probably mean is “This is so much fun to look at!” But then again, there are certain points where I feel like I want to be what’s fun to look at.

This summer I have mostly been wearing those Isabel Marant-style mini skirts (mostly by LoveShackFancy) with crochet tops or linen button downs and when I’m in the city, with masculine loafers.

When I think about a resolved, aspirational future me with a mere chest drawer of garments, I vibe much more freely with that The Row-style trust fund masseuse aesthetic (also, why has no one ever described The Row and trust fund masseuse-chic?). I’d probably get sick of that too, though.

Meh, I don’t feel like talking about clothes anymore. They’re boring me. Do you find that, too??

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

“Trust fund masseuse-chic” is the best description of The Row I’ve ever heard. I think you’re right that you’d get bored if that was your everyday uniform, though. The concept of it is appealing in the same way a whackadoo pair of shoes are, but when you wear anything too much it’s gonna get old. Except do you have ONE thing you literally could never get sick of? Like one item you currently own that retains its spark no matter what? I’m trying to think if I do, but if there are some jokes that never get old that certainly has to apply to at least one pair of pants.

(Also you’re totally right about the floral thing. How long do you think it’s going to last and should I get this Réalisation Par dress?

No such thing as too-long toes.

But goddamn my bunion woes. Me and the bunion we are not ready for the heel comeback. Maybe I should get these Topshop platforms so that I’m prepared. They look comfy enough.

Talking about clothes bores me for sure but I still get random violent urges to shop. Sometimes they’re so intense that if I don’t indulge them, even a little bit, I do something weird like spend $60 at CVS on alternative hair tie solutions that I’ll never use. But anyway, I think the boredom comes from A) overload on too much so nothing feels special and B) in making niche discoveries SO discoverable, Instagram eliminated the addictive feeling OF discovery. When you find something cool now you know it’s just a matter of time before all your best friends own it, too.

Here’s a GOOD BUY: Striped cotton Stella McCartney shorts on sale for $136. They’re cool enough that they can make a basic outfit feel interesting but they’re in no way novel, so there’s no burnout in over-wearing them.

Is it possible you’re bored of clothes because you’ve somehow magically fulfilled your every wardrobe want? I’m serious: did you beat all the levels of the video game called fashion?

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

I don’t think there is such thing as beating the fashion video game! Or at least there is not supposed to be, and if that is the case there is a far larger issue of lack-of-innovation, or muchhhhh more — probably too much innovation (over-saturation), which is completely and utterly possible. Speaking of good platforms, by the way, these from Tory Burch rule. And no to that dress. Get one of the Rouje ones! They are so easy.

Easy. I love when that word actually describes clothing. It’s probably the reason I love summer so much. Is there a way to make clothes that aren’t for summer feel easy??? If we can crack that code I think winters would be much more satisfying. I really like this one too, actually. Cool with loafers. Btw, these are now $279. Is it time to pull the trigger?

I feel like a sociopath — going from wanting to streamline my wardrobe, to not wanting to buy, to not wanting to talk about clothes, to pondering a pair of…cowboy boots?

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

You’ve been wanting the right cowboy boots forever, just do it.

And I really hope you do write that story. I keep thinking about this — again, back to the move. I could get rid of a lot more than I’m able to part with, but the reason I can’t seem to do it is because I CANNOT shake the “what if” factor: What if there’s a party where I need that gold sequined top, or those wide leg pants, etc. (LIKE DO I NEED THESE SILVER TUXEDO PANTS FOR HOLIDAY SEASON? I pack the same way: What if it’s cold, what if it rains, what if there’s a surprise party that requires a gold sequined top? The thinking, I guess, is that you’ll deal with it when or if the time comes, but until then, you don’t need it, so why own it? Whoa. It’s like the sartorial version of live in the moment.

I just out-deeped myself.

But there’s something to be said about falling in love with a piece whether it’s practical or not, necessary or not, or even wearable. Remember those stupid satin Rochas platforms with the crystallized heels I bought last year at a sample sale? They are so heavy I can’t walk in them without punching a hole in concrete, but just knowing they exist in my closet makes me happy. So if we’re going that route, this is my final pick, take it or leave it.

…And maybe these dumb-insane Balenciaga square toe thigh high boots on sale for $758

Lolololol $$$$$, I won’t. Just looking at them is half the fun.

Get more Fashion ?
  • Mariam Elle Zoghbi

    For me crazy statement clothes seem a little redundant, and that’s where my boredom stems from. Within the past lets say three years, I’ve found so many outlets to express myself (IG, Twitter, MR comments, therapy), I no longer use clothes to communicate my thoughts and emotions.

    Perhaps that’s the root of your boredom too Leandra? You’ve established so many communication channels, using clothes to reiterate your message may seem unnecessary to you.

    Just a thought. Probably just projecting.

    • Leandra Medine

      I think my messaging portals have gotten convoluted, actually! I am beginning to notice a distinct correlation between the paring down of my writing (producing like ~1-2 stories a week these days as opposed to previously, when I’d write like 10) and the confusion around my identity as informed by my clothes.

  • Abby

    All of the dresses in this, especially the green ones, are so on point!

  • Andrea Raymer

    I directly attribute the provincial trend to Beauty and the Beast. I have been dressing like Belle since March and this trend is making it very easy.

    Im also, super into that Realization Par dress. or really all of their dresses. But that green one in particular because I am trying to be a redhead now and I feel like I need to wear things on the green-blue spectrum to make my hair brighter.

  • Jane

    Why is Rouje permanently sold out? I have been refreshing for months. I would buy ten items from that brand at this point if made available!

  • Kay

    Dying at “I just out-deeped myself”!! I need this to be broadly applicable so it can be said all the time

  • Maggie Lanham

    I love these posts because I do so much of this, too. My friends and I talk and talk about buying items but really it comes down to figuring out who we are. It’s so nice to look outside of myself and my friend group and know that everyone is searching for the same thing. It’s easy to look at bloggers or writers or stylists and think they have it all figured out, when really, it’s a constant journey of finding the right things for the real you. Best of luck in your venture, Leandra and Amelia!

  • DA

    I definitely believe there is such a thing as versatile gimmicks. Like a weird cut in a solid color or a crazy pattern in a classic cut. As long as it’s YOUR style and not a trend, I think it can become a classic/signature for you. Also I’ve tried the one in one out thing before and it can become a dangerous cycle of buying justified by throwing, which is eventually still pretty wasteful.

  • Ryan

    OMG the Isabel marant skirts! Where can I find an inspired version for under $100?