I Can’t Believe It’s December. So Should I Buy This?

This feels like the one month where you have a good excuse to fill up the old shopping cart…

12.12.16

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

Should I buy this and call it my Susan Miller blouse?

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Leandra Medine wrote:

Why would you buy anything full-price when the world is on sale? Also, do you have a side hustle? That shirt is $1,200. If you’re going to buy anything FP, let it be these.

I just bought this sweater (it’s 40% off), you should get it too.

I am also newly interested in this ridiculous sunglass brand called Freda Banana. So much fun for your face, no?

You must be racking your brain about what to get for me for the holidays. I’ll take Miu Miu.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

Yeah, I have a side hustle. It’s called denial. I think I love the name Freda Banana even more than those sunglasses! Also !!! to that zebra cardigan.

I am like one more sneeze away from buying a pair of cowboy boots so I love those white ones you sent. These Dorateymur mules scratch the itch in a different way for me.

Still, I probably need a real pair. I definitely need this insane Kate Spade bag that is actually a magician’s hat with a rabbit poking out, because you only live once.

I’ll keep this Gucci bow in it so that when people ask to see what’s inside, I have something good to show.

I actually DON’T know what to get you. It’s stressing me out. These Rochas slides are are on sale and in your size …. I’m gonna keep looking.

Also, this is very, very random but I am (sorry) getting into aromatherapy and love this Tata Harper energy oil.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

Can you get me a live-in acupuncturist? Apparently I really need one.

Again with the excessively expensive, extremely superfluous details! What will you do with a $700 Gucci bow?

How do you plan to wear “Cabriolet” mules? (Seriously, though?) Can I persuade you instead to get these? Or these?

Please don’t get me satin slides, there is a pair coming out for drop 2 of the MR shoe collection and they are the best, most convenient shoes on earth. Take my word for it. I begged them to let me make mine white satin but to no avail.

Onto more important things:

This shiny mesh cami by Rosie is on sale.

Also, what are your thoughts on a denim skirt?

A fitted tweed dress?

Blue velvet Céline brogues?

Rhinestone ballet slippers? These are truly baby shoes made for adults.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

I can 100% get you a live-in acupuncturist. This one is super cute, thoughts??

Re “excessively expensive, extremely superfluous details”: LET ME LIVE.

I need to think about how I’d wear those mules, but I’ve been into boot-cut pants/jeans that are short enough you could wear a flat sandal without pooling………..and I feel like the pant hem would hit in the right spot. I know, I know, I should have some outfits in my head first.

Holy, that shiny Rosie. What a find. And to answer your other questions in order:
Into it
No, gives me some weird complex that I can’t pinpoint yet
Yes
IDK because wow, they really are baby shoes made for adults.

I want to get The Patata bag from Color Temperature x Fivestory and fill it with candy then carry it around.

I also want these glitter Marc Jacobs platforms because I think I keep thinking I own something like them but don’t.

Remember when Elaine Welteroth was in our office and her lips looked awesome? I copied her.

Remember when we interviewed this young designer “kid”? Now look at him.

This, by the way, is the best-smelling candle in the world. Like firewood.

I’m all over the place. WHAT ARE YOU IN THE MOOD TO BUY YOURSELF?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

Oh! Speaking of weird-ass-length pants, I just ordered these. They’re the strangest length, but I think I love them? They will look neat with mules, but probably flat ones because I have active calf muscles.

I have that Patata bag in yellow! You want to borrow it? Every time I attempt to use it I feel like I am with a pet, even though I’m not. I’d rather wear these pants if that’s the vibe I’m going for.

I don’t love those sandals, how about these instead? I find that velvet looks much better with tights or socks, you know?

If I’m trying to emulate Harling, I’ll get this.

If I want to look like you, it’s probably about this.

When I was pregnant and REALLY nauseous, I sat by a burning fire when I was in Georgia for that wedding and now every time I smell firewood it reminds me of vomiting my brains out while over there so I’m going to pass on the candle. You’re on a self-indulgence, not in the outward gaze but rather what-can-I-do-for-me? kick aren’t you? Le Labo candles have been my favorite way to treat myself. They’re extravagant and smell so good.

I don’t really want to buy myself anything to be honest. Partially because I bought these jeans like yesterday and also because I have this weird hole in my heart that isn’t going to get full with new shoes or bags or whatever.

I think I genuinely need to get up and go out there and do some good for other people. It sounds selfless, but really I’m being selfish because I feel like a shell of a person and want to feel whole again. That’s my impetus.

So…did I just put a damper on this whole conversation? Probably. Here’s a digression!

Happy holidays mother effer.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

I put that app you suggested, Deed, in the newsletter! You know how it takes Charlotte getting diarrhea to make Carrie finally belly laugh again in the movie? “When something is finally funny”? That moment’s gonna come for you, too. I just hope it doesn’t involve me…

I’m ignoring your other ra-ra shit about not liking my picks because I will win you over and you will SEE!!!

I love that Ashish dress and the Acne one needs to get on my body ASAP.

You know what we should get for the office? An old Polaroid camera to take random photos when “guests” come by.

That piece that went up today on expensive skincare is making me want to restart my whole regimen and go on a Sunday Riley spree.

Yoox has so many party shoes on sale, by the way. There’s a whole category for it.

Look at those N.21 bagels!

AND THE BABY BLUE VERSIONS OF MY DREAMS (I have them in maroon thanks to a sample sale but SO WHAT).

P.S… OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT BABY HAMSTER I CANNOT EVEN BREATHE. Do you remember when, on Old Man Repeller, we went through a phase where we kept easter egging this?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

Hahahaha. Yes! 2012 was MR’s glory year but 2017 will be MR’s No. 21 bagel year.

Re: beauty products, I am telling you that the only ones you really need to use are those Drunk Elephant serums and the whipped cream. I genuinely feel like they are changing my skin.

Also, I keep a bottle of Solution 10 at my desk right next to my Mason Pearson brush and apply it midday — Dr. Wechsler told me that I can do that because it’s a cream for sensitive skin and won’t clog your pores and therefore your skin doesn’t have to be freshly washed when you use it. Couple the cream with the midday brushing and you have yourself a tiny delight that feels soooooooo luxurious.

Also, Tan Luxe sent me these drops and I’ve been using them. It’s my guilty, secret pleasure but is probably obliterating my skin.

That party shoe shop rules, btw. I maintain that I don’t need any party shoes, partially because, hello, MR has you COVERED.

But also because per my last In My Cart about footwear, these will be mine one day. And also, matching all my selfish purchase amounts with charitable donations is really expensive, but a great way to stop and think like 15 times about what I’m buying and whether I really need it.

These seem more versatile than your satin Rochas pick.

Wear them with this. And glitter in your hair.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Amelia Diamond wrote:

You get me. Those velvet Rochas are what’s up. I think I love your bow ones more. Sorry for copying you but speaking of, what should I eat for dinner?

I had no idea you could put Solution 10 on without washing. I WANT IT. I want those pores. I want Dr. Wechsler to be my friend.

And yea I need those MR shoes. It’s probably illegal that I don’t own a pair?

Am I going to get sick of this very red but on sale sweater?

Found another Harling dress. This one’s like Harling meets Alexa Chung.

NOW THIS IS A PARTY. It’s on sale but still too expensive. (Look! I’m coming back down to reality.)

I want these corduroy Vanessa Bruno pants but now I’ll get post-holiday sick of them, just like that sweater.

For cool but warm legs.

Berets are on sale. What does that say about berets. :/ (I really don’t know)

Getting this, saving for spring.

…Or I might scrap it all and just get a ton of lingerie for myself.

It’s my version of “fuck it, I’m getting cheese fries.”

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Leandra Medine wrote:

I’m going to have sushi flags.

I love that red Vivetta dress. It says “happy holidays” but also, “I don’t celebrate the holidays, I celebrate LYFE” all at once.
With these shoes to live in the Alexa Chung lane.

You are always attracted to the weirdest-shaped sweaters. Don’t you think that red one is going to pair unusually with jeans because of the ribbing?

Meanwhile, would you spend $715 on rose gold hoops? I think it’s worth it…

And how about this for a happy holidays Mrs. President jacket?

This note isn’t really for you, it’s for my friends on the Internet who have expressed interest in my Robert Clergerie x Sonia Rykiel sandals: THEY’RE ON $$$$ALE!

Finally, I leave you with this: you say G-strings (lingerie), I say nude boy pants.

Happy, merry, bye!

If your shopping bone still feels ticklish, check out our First Ever Gift Guide. Not into this time of year? Join the So Whats.

Photos by Krista Anna Lewis.

Get more Fashion ?