It keeps getting better and better, doesn’t it? Truer, zanier, Marnier — this season of Girls makes me feel like I’m in on a secret. This show is so weird and good. And somehow, it works, too. This week, the humor and the anguish are in synchronized step, executing a boogie-woogie bop of an episode. What that means exactly is just one of many debates we’re going to have to hash out here. Grab a baby tee and a rosemary cocktail and let’s get into it.
1. How many people read the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books and believe that she is at least in some sense a guardian angel? Perhaps goodness incarnate?
2. Where can I go in New York to see cloud formations that look like Blake Lively?
3. Okay, okay fine! Let’s deal with it: Can vaginas really save the world? Ourselves, from dismissal?
4. Doesn’t it really say a lot about how far Fran has fallen in our esteem that when he voices all the complaints we’ve all had about Hannah for over four seasons, we still kinda want him to shut the hell up?
5. “Are we praying?”
6. When is Ray going to settle down with a nice, substantive girl who doesn’t mistake a creative use of barrettes for personal expression?
7. If anything were ever to convince you to pick up smoking (calm down, Dad), would it not be the picture of Jessa on that fire escape?
8. Who’s gonna murder Dill?
9. Do you think the towels in Dill’s bathroom look more like saggy elephants or drunk Dementors?
10. Given that Hannah is wearing ruby red slippers and comes dangerously close to tapping them together, do you think she just really wants to go home? If so, where would that even be anymore?
11. How is it that falling asleep during sex can sometimes spell the absolute death of a relationship and can sometimes make it seem like maybe, really, it has a shot?
12. Ballpark estimate: How many short-sleeved polo shirts does Ray own?
13. Have you ever been where Hannah is in the final moments of this episode? You can tell us the story, if you want to. But if you don’t, would you mind telling us how you recovered? Picked yourself up? Healed? How did you survive it?