The Emmys are the Oscars’ Weird Cousin
The Emmys celebrated its 66th year last night with Seth Meyers as its host. There were winners, losers, 11 second kisses and a fair comparison between Amy Poehler and Queen Bey. The Violently Mangled Attire of Sunday night’s VMA red carpet was snubbed for varying hues of orange, and the energy was jovial with a twist of celebrity self-deprecation. (Was I there? No. But I have an HD TV so you’re damn right I felt it.)
The thing about the Emmys is that it congregates the most comedic, warped, and creative minds of a medium which continues to surprise and delight its audience. With those minds comes the invariable slip ups (albeit handled with grace) and the insider-y jokes that make you feel as though you should’ve been nicer to those drama kids back in your high school’s sketch group. They’re probably sitting in that audience. What happens at the Emmys would simply not fly at the Oscars, probably due to the lack of adult supervision at the former, meaning that the Emmys — if you think about it — are like the Oscars’ weird cousin:
1. Orange proved to be the new black of the red carpet.
Mindy Kaling, Kerry Washington and Sarah Hyland are just a few who opted for the color that my camp counselor once told me represented, “creativity, success, and enthusiasm.” To me it says, “Be bold! Don’t take yourself too seriously! Drink eggnog! This isn’t the Oscars, it’s a FIESTA.”
2. Aaron Paul chose to use his speech as a platform to promote and profess his love to his wife:
“My god… thank you for marrying me…if you guys don’t know what she does look up Kind Campaign!”
The Emmys were like, “Aww.” The Oscars would have been like, “Cue the exit music.”
3. Lena Dunham proved she can have her cake and wear it too. Fuck yeah Lena! (You can’t curse at the Oscars, right?)
4. Weird Al Yankovic performed with Andy Samberg as a very convincing King Joffrey…
…then proceeded to gift “Game of Thrones” creator George Martin a typewriter while urging him to “TYPE GEORGE! TYPE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!” Again, the Oscars would have pleaded, “Cue the exit music.” We were like, “Don’t stop!”
5. Billy on the Street and Seth Meyers took to the streets.
Together they scared pedestrians with zero worries of potential harassment lawsuits.
6. Billy Crystal paid a beautiful tribute to Robin Williams.
He seamlessly wove in the late comedian’s funniest moments and touching testaments to his genius and influence: “For almost forty years, he was the brightest star in the comedy galaxy… Robin Williams, what a concept.”
The Oscars would have approved this one.
7. Bryan Cranston planted an 11 second kiss on Julia Louis-Dreyfus
…and it did not look the least bit staged.
GIF via Business Insider
8. Hayden Panettiere chose a sparkling baby bump over a concealed black one
…because this isn’t the Oscars, which means it’s her and baby’s time to shine.
Images via The Huffington Post
9. Kit “Man-Bun” Harington chose to discuss his proclivity towards skinny dipping over “who he was wearing”:
“I’ve got an addiction to skinny dipping. I don’t know what it is. Maybe I’m a nudist at heart.” He’s killing us.
GIF via The Mirror
10. Sarah Silverman whisked out not an origami fan from her purse, but her “liquid pot.”
…Thus becoming the first red-carpet-goer to prove Giuliana Rancic at a loss for words.
Did we forget anything? Does anybody even watch the Emmys? Does anyone else wish their weird cousin was this cool? Let us know in the comments!