15 Ways You Know a Girl Studied Abroad in Paris
You would probably never guess this since we never ever talk about Paris or French people on Man Repeller, but believe it or not, a lot of us lived in Paris at some point in our lives. Since today is the fourteenth day of July (Bastille Day!), here are fifteen (plus one for luck, like a birthday candle!) ways you know a girl absolument studied abroad in Paris:
1. She is très excité about it being Bastille Day and wants you to know it. (And because she’s not actually French, she doesn’t realize that “très exité” is more often used to express sexual arousal.)
2. She tweeted something about drinking wine today before 11am.
3. She once had a blog called some variation of “A [blank] in Paris,” where the number of posts were directly proportionate to her level of loneliness. Her mom read every word.
4. She has at least one Facebook profile picture where she’s sitting at a café holding a cup of espresso and/or a wine glass. She also has one from that bar made of ice in that other country. Oh, and a narrow stairwell picture.
5. For approximately 120 days, her Instagrams consisted solely of pastries and monuments.
6. She assumes everyone understands that “J.Y.A.” stands for “junior year abroad” and uses the word “bizzare” too often.
7. She has zero French friends, but it’s not her fault. She tried. And by “trying” she means living with — and never separating from — three American girls. (Her host brother/sister doesn’t count.)
8. She “went to Paris Fashion Week once,” which means she happened to be walking through the Tuileries and spotted Bill Cunningham.
9. She only wears black now and sees this wardrobe shift as an indication of emotional and intellectual maturity.
10. She gained ten pounds and has no regrets.
11. There’s a picture of her somewhere on the Internet at Oktoberfest making out with a guy from your high school who used to be ugly but now looks really good in lederhosen.
12. A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway makes her cry.
13. Upon returning to the United States, she immediately went to Chipotle and Instagrammed a picture of a burrito, which she of course missed so much even though she never ate there before she left.
14. She sends everyone her novel-length Paris recommendations/itinerary even if they didn’t ask for it.
15. She wrote a post called “15 Ways You Know a Girl Studied Abroad in Paris.”
(Now add yours…)
— Emilia Petrarca
Image on the left, courtesy of Elle Russia, Image on the right courtesy of the Louis Vuitton 2012 Cruise Collection catalogue, shot by Mark Segal.