Taylor Swift’s album title says it all — 1989. Anyone born in or near that year will recall the heyday of AIM, a time when social life and young romance revolved almost exclusively around the family computer.
She’s referenced AIM before. “Our song is the sound of screen doors” did not mean some quaint country back porch door but rather, the computerized ch-chk of signing off and on until your crush finally realized you were online.
She’s also a total emo kid. She may look like the all-American girl with a tribute to her BFFs via their initials and some inside joke in her profile (*~Love My Girls: AB, SS, KM, LE~* Milk Money LOL!) but if you comb through Tay’s not-so-far-away past she’s been pretty clear that she wasn’t the high school cheerleader.
1989 is a testament to that. It sounds like a pop album but reads like Saves The Day lyrics typed out in an AIM away message, except that in 2014 social media bios have replaced AIM profiles. Since the good emo bands died out with the last Brand New album, the following are the best lyrics from Taylor Swift’s 1989 to serve as the obvious-yet-cryptic quotes for our emotional billboards.
If you liked Motion City Soundtrack lyrics, try…
“Welcome to New York”
– Everybody here wanted something more / Searching for a sound we hadn’t heard before
– Like any true love / It drives you crazy
– And you can want who you want / Boys and boys and girls and girls
– The lights are so bright/ But they never blind me.
If you liked Panic! At the Disco lyrics, try…
– I could make the bad guys good for a weekend
– Cause you know I love the players, and you love the game
– Cause darling I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream
If you liked The Postal Service lyrics, try…
You got that James Dean day dream look in your eye…and when we go crashing down, we come back in every time.
– Could’ve been easy, all you had to do was stay
If you liked Brand New lyrics try…
“Out of the Woods”
– The rest of the world was black and white / but we were in screaming color
– I walked out, I said “I’m setting you free” / But the monsters turned out to be just trees
If you liked Jimmy Eat World lyrics, try…
“Shake It Off”
– It’s like I got this music / In my mind, saying it’s gonna be alright
If you liked Death Cab for Cutie lyrics, try…
– You live like that, you live with ghosts / If you love like that bad blood runs
“How You Get the Girl”
– …And you were too afraid to tell her what you want
If you liked Taking Back Sunday lyrics, try…
– This love is a life back from the dead / These hands had to let them go free / And this love came back to me
– Say you’ll see me again even if it’s just in your wildest dreams
If you liked Fall Out Boy Lyrics, you’ll like…
“I Know Places”
– They are the hunters, we are the foxes and we run
– Lose lips, ships sink, all the damn time, not this time
– And you’re dead at night, your eyes so green
If you liked Coheed and Cambria lyrics, you’ll like…
– The draught was the very worst when the flowers that we’d grown together died of thirst
– And that morning, gone was any trace of you, I think I am finally clean
If you liked Something Corporate Lyrics, you’ll like…
– Didn’t you call my fears with the cheshire cat’s smile
– Cause baby I could built a castle / out of all the bricks they threw at me
If You Liked Dashboard Confessional Lyrics, You’ll Like…
“I Wish You Would”
– We’re a crooked love in a straight line down / If you wanna run and hide, then it makes you turn right back around
“You Are In Love”
– You understand now why they lost their minds and fought the wars…you’re in love.
*: G2g, mom needs the comp, leave one :*