Here Are The 5 Things Every Woman Should Have According to Inès de la Fressange
Not a francophile? Prefer bangers and mash and the English countryside? Check out Amanda Brooks’ top 5.
First: if you’re in Paris and only have the capacity to learn four words, let them be, “tu as tellement raison.” This means, “you are so right,“ and according to Fressange will immediately make those nearby assume that you’re both fluent and highly intelligent (ostensibly for thinking the other person is intelligent).
Second: you don’t need to have a lot of stuff, just a few really good pieces. Which, of course, leads us to the mother lode of advice in the form of a list of five things Fressange believes every woman should have, punctuated by precisely why she should have them:
1. Good jeans, which she calls, “the quite boring thing that no one wants to buy but it fits everyone.” For wash, Fressange prefers “dark blue denim or a really light pair, but it’s hard to find the perfect one — Uniqlo makes my favorite.” She also recommends that you find a pair that’s tight and short. “Suddenly, you’ll look like Audrey Hepburn.”
2. A navy sweater — not black. “It’s boring, but you wear it every day.”
3. Black flats, “because you’re dressed up immediately and it’s safe for the majority of looks.”
4. A blue men’s shirt — “White shirts are boring, so let’s say a man shirt in light blue! If you’re blonde with huge boobs, you won’t look so sexy, and if you’re tiny, it looks nice too.”
5. A leather jacket, but here’s the catch — it should be “a little bit too tiny — especially for me because I always dress up like a man and it’s a little bit boring. To find a little tiny leather jacket [makes you look] a little bit rock and roll.”
As for what you definitely do not need? “No way the little black dress. It doesn’t mean anything.”