Decoding Elle Fanning’s Style Secrets
There is no bow too big or too small to tie around your neck
Elle Fanning and my dad have so much in common. They are both, for example, turning 19 on April 9th. Isn’t that cool? They also both seem to have a tendency to look down while they walk. Last I counted, both also have ten fingers, but Fanning has a leg up on my father in that I like her more for the simple reason that she looks great in my shoes. See below:
It should be noted they are similarly good dressers. These are the rules of her style.
1. There is no bow too big nor too small to tie around your neck.
2. Pink coats not withstanding.
3. You don’t have to be a salesperson at Abercrombie & Fitch to wear a denim mini skirt with a cotton polo.
3a. As a matter of fact, when you add retro sunglasses, you become something different entirely.
4. If you’re going to wear a delicate, flouncy mini dress, twirl until you’re so dizzy you fall.
5. If you don’t have enough space to twirl, add tights and chunky boots so as not to be mistaken for Tinker Bell (just this one time!).
6. Honor the good cinema that came before you with your clothing. Wear Reptar of Rugrats fame on a T-shirt with ballet flats.
7. Always have shoes with you, but don’t necessarily always wear them.
8. Wear so many “romantic” dresses that people start to call you the poster child for manic-pixie dressing then, when they least expect it, don’t surprise them and wear another romantic dress that is actually a cropped top and matching skirt.
9. Have your silver moment during the close up, when it is revealed that you are a beauty risk taker and have thus chosen orange eyeshadow to match the aforementioned set.
10. Never leave room for a style slideshow about you to exist without at least one cat dress sighting.
10a. Call my dad to wish him a happy birthday.
Photos via Getty Images.