18 Questions About ‘Girls’: Season 5, Episode 8 Recap
Everyone’s acting like a big baby
Everyone is coming and going this week. Except for Ray, who is evidently staying put for the next four to five hours. Caroline is gone and Shosh is back and the tragedies are real. It’s not school anymore or play pretend in Bushwick.
Suddenly, it’s life and death and realizing that you can’t just go on welfare because you don’t know what else to do.
No matter how hard you try to outrun it, your past catches up with you. Your decisions have consequences. And I hate to break it to our new friend in that ancient sedan: It’s pretty hard to start over when you have a gun in the backseat of your car.
1. Kicking it off with the truly existential: Shosh wants to know why she’s “here.” Don’t we all, don’t we all?
2. Have you ever spent an entire day in your pajamas? Listen, I have. I was six years old and on a houseboat trip and I reasoned that if I didn’t change out of my pajamas, I’d never have to change back into them. And guess what? I was 100 percent correct. It was really one of the best days of my life and I recommend it as an occasional practice to each and every one of you. In fact, why don’t we all decide we will spend a day this weekend in our PJs? Can we all do that? For each other? Pajamas are chic now! It’ll be painless.
3. Oh, look! It’s the Hannah I know and somewhat detest, acting like a nincompoop and rejecting all forms of human decency. Where have you been, bb girl?
4. You’ve been a trooper, Fran! Really, he has been. But now that he’s out of the picture and on his own in the house-car, can we all come to some kind of conclusion about whether or not he’s a good person? A wannabe woke feminist? A teacher you would have had a serious crush on in middle school?
5. Will Laird knit me a hat?
6. Will Ray gouge my eyes out with a coffee stirrer? Please? Because I cannot watch Hannah do this.
7. But, in all seriousness, has trying to repay someone for friendly kindness with sexual favors ever worked?
8. Did Ray deserve to have his truck crashed and his dreamed crushed? Yes, yes he did.
10. Don’t you think Shosh should get some some credit for picking up on Japanese so fast? Not easy!
11. Who’s worse: Hannah or Shosh? Please defend your choice in the comments.
12. How has a sketchy driver become the feminist of this show? Because Hannah is a grown woman and she can make whatever horrible decisions she chooses, FRAN/RAY/WORLD.
13. Lisa Bonet?!?!?!?!?!?!?
14. “Why do you need more help than a baby?”
15. Is that the most profound question that has ever been asked on this show?
16. When did Adam become my spiritual godfather?
17. Why is Jessa still wearing her cross?
18. Is New York still a good place to start over? Has it ever been for you?