16 Questions About ‘Girls’: Season 5, Episode 5
I need answers. Elijah? Anybody?
Well, well, well. We can’t all grow up at once, can we?
This episode charts the seesaw of personal development — when someone triumphs, someone else will always have to pay the (sometimes literal $$$) price. Because, babes, we don’t find ourselves in a vacuum. And we for sure do not find ourselves in a sauna.
And while that’s obvious, the rest of the episode wasn’t quite so straightforward. Which is why we need to discuss these 16 questions I had about this episode of Girls.
1. Does Girls exacerbate the Sunday Scaries or mitigate it, reminding you that some people spend their lives trapped in four-door sedans on the way to “Spring Queening” events?
2. How many of you are those cool women who are, like, “Whatever, man! Parents have sex! It’s totally chill”? What’s that like?
3. I really know that I don’t want to know, but, okay, I’ll bite: What’s “cat” a euphemism for? Don’t make me Urban Dictionary it, friends. Don’t make me do it.
5. Will Kathy-with-a-K let me purchase the glasses off her face?
6. Can the Girls costume department get an Oscar for the exhaustive assortment of drape-y knitwear in this episode? Or, at least a Guinness Book of World Records win?
7. If the only evidence Loreen needs to prove she didn’t mess Hannah up is Hannah telling her so, isn’t that exactly the problem? Isn’t it the job of parents to exonerate children? And not the other way around? (Chic PJs, though!)
8. Would you date a “morning brusher”?
9. In all five seasons, have you ever had as much pure love for Hannah than in the minute the camera whips around and celebrates her in all her inappropriate gear-clad glory?
10. Isn’t it just the loveliest to see Shoshanna at the center of her own universe? Honestly, I feel like a mom.
11. Why don’t I tote around salt in my purse? Brilliant.
12. Does it really seem like a “non-issue” to you, Kathy-with-a-K? Really?
13. Adam, this seems like da worst idea ever. Please, please? Please? Why?
14. Re: Question 10: Isn’t it just the loveliest to see Shoshanna at the center of her own emotional state? I’m so proud I could burst.
15. Who teaches us how to compromise?
16. Oh, did you just notice that Marnie skipped this episode? Are you thrilled?